O’Brien Icehouse offers the most comprehensive range of ice skating lessons in Melbourne. Whether you are a total beginner or a seasoned professional, we have a class and program to suit both kids and adults.
No matter if your ambitions are to be an Olympic figure skater, an NHL ice hockey player or to go as fast as Steven Bradbury in speed skating, Skate School is the place to start.
Which class is suitable for you? All skaters should start at the beginning.
If you have had previous professional training and are not sure which class to enrol in please have a look at the Aussie Skate Skills list to assess your level.
- Tots (Under 5): For Tots aged 5 & under regardless of their skill level. They start in Tots 1 and move up through to Tots 3 until they are ready for kids levels Aussie Skate 1 -10.
- Youth (6yrs-15yrs): Our kids classes are designed for ages 6 to 15 regardless of their skill level. Start at Aussie Skate 1 through to Freeskate 4B and on to competition. Skaters who have reached Aussie skate 7 may move onto Ice Hockey or Short Track Speed Skating.
- Adults (16yrs +): These classes are designed for anyone over the age of 16. The adult course starts at Adult Aussie Skate 1/2 and runs through to Adult Free Skating or you can add in a Dance or Steps and Turns class.
- Supplementary: Add a supplementary class to focus on specific techniques and improve your skills from Ice Dance to spins to steps and turns and Synchro. There are options for all skating abilities
Skate School classes run on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. O’Brien Icehouse is a member rink of Ice Skating Australia and teaches the accredited Australian Learn to Skate curriculum, Aussie Skate™.
$25 per class x number of weeks per term.
Places in these classes are always in high demand, so we do ask you to pay the full enrolment fee when the classes commence.
Each class is 30 minutes long
Skates, helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards are available and included
Helmets are compulsory for all Tots 1, Tots 2, Tots 3, Basic 1 and Adult 1 levels
Before committing to a whole term of classes, we strongly recommend that you try ice skating. Click here for all our skating options. There are two requirements to join Skate School:
- You have been skating before
- You can hold your own balance on the ice without holding on to anything or anyone
There are no refunds for a change of heart.
Not a beginner and have had professional lessons before?
If you have completed Free skate 1 in skate school and are looking for a private coach please complete this form and one of our coaches will contact you when a vacancy becomes available.
If you are looking for a private coach please complete this form and one of our coaches will contact you.
CAMPS AND CLINICS
Icehouse Skate School run development camps in April, July, September and January school holiday periods.
- July 4, 6,7,8 ($130 per day or $500 for all 4 days) Youth Beginners to Youth Free Skate 4 (ages 6-15).
- Designed for 6-15 years old
- 4+ hours on the ice per day
- Off ice activities and training
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- Rental skates and helmets provided
- Accredited coaches
- Single day or Multi day enrolment available
- July 5 2022
O’Brien Icehouse and Ice Skating Victoria and present:
The Brendan Kerry /Monica McDonald Pursue Your Dreams Figure Skating Development Seminar , July 5, 2022
Open to all Victorian and Interstate Preliminary to Senior Level Figure skaters and coaches.
- Skater enrolment includes Morning and Afternoon Tea and Lunch
- 3.5 hours of on Ice coaching
- 4 hours off ice coaching
- Preliminary to Elementary $220 incl GST
- Basic Novice to Senior $220 incl GST
- Level 1 and above Coaches $0 (APSA accreditation points apply)
SKATE SCHOOL FAQs
Due to the high demand for our classes we require full upfront payment before the start of each term
Yes, we supply you with skates if you do not have your own. We also have helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards if you wish to wear them. They are not mandatory.
Helmets are compulsory for Tots 1, Tots 2, Tots 3, Basic 1 and Adult 1 classes.
Unfortunately, we do not do make up classes.
However, each enrollment includes two additional Public Session passes. You are welcome to use these passes in lieu of the class you have missed to come and practice. Passes expire at the end of each term.
The ONLY reasons we refund are for medical reasons. The presentation of a doctor’s certificate is required.
Yes, you are more than welcome to go for a skate before and/or after your Skate School lesson if there is a session available.
Wednesdays, the public skating session ends at 3:45pm. From 4:00pm-5:00pm & 6:45pm-7:45pm, we allocate a practice area and students are welcome to practice is the designated area.
Sundays, the Public Session starts at 9am on Bradbury Rink. Since Skate School is on Henke Rink, students are welcome to practice on Bradbury Rink from 9am.
If there are 3 or more in a family enrolling for Skate School, a 10% discount will be applied from the 3rd student onwards.
You will need to go to Ticketing for them to issue you a replacement card at a fee of $2.
You enrollment is non-transferable and is only valid for the access card holder.