O’Brien Icehouse offers the most comprehensive range of ice skating lessons in Melbourne. Whether you are a total beginner or a seasoned professional, we have a class and program to suit both kids and adults.
No matter if your ambitions are to be an Olympic figure skater, an NHL ice hockey player, or to go as fast as Steven Bradbury in speed skating, Skate School is the place to start.
Which class is suitable for you? All skaters should start at the beginning: Tots 1, Youth Aussie Skate 1/2, or Adult Aussie Skate 1/2. NOTE: Freestyle levels are for skaters who have passed Aussie Skate levels 1-10.
If you have had previous professional training and are not sure which class to enrol in please have a look at the Aussie Skate Skills list to assess your level.
- Tots (Under 5): For Tots aged 5 & under regardless of their skill level. They start in Tots 1 and move up through to Tots 3 until they are ready for kids levels Aussie Skate 1 -10.
- Youth (6yrs-15yrs): Our kids classes are designed for ages 6 to 15 regardless of their skill level. Start at Aussie Skate 1 through to Freeskate 4B and on to competition. Skaters who have reached Aussie skate 7 may move onto Ice Hockey or Short Track Speed Skating.
- Adults (16yrs +): These classes are designed for anyone over the age of 16. The adult course starts at Adult Aussie Skate 1/2 and runs through to Adult Free Skating or you can add in a Dance or Steps and Turns class.
- Supplementary: Add a supplementary class to focus on specific techniques and improve your skills from Ice Dance to spins to steps and turns and Synchro. If you have graduated to Free Skate 1-Preliminary levels our new Off Ice Jumps & Spins and Strength & Conditioning classes will help you to get the most of your on ice training. There are options for both Adults and Youth skaters .
- Rising Stars: For Freeskate 1 – 4 levels and preliminary skaters. Bring your figure skating to the next level! Rising Stars is a 2 hour On & Off-Ice class and replaces Freeskate classes on Wednesday evenings. ON ICE: Includes a high-level warm-up, core Freeskate class, and a mix of on-ice cardio, musicality, and skating skills. OFF ICE: Strength & Conditioning training. NOTE: Sunday Freeskate levels 1-4, half-hour classes will continue, as well as the supplementary Off Ice Strength & Conditioning and Off Ice Jumps & Spins classes.
Skate School classes run on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. O’Brien Icehouse is a member rink of Ice Skating Australia and teaches the accredited Australian Learn to Skate curriculum, Aussie Skate™.
TERM 1 2024 ENROLMENTS OPEN: 29 NOV 2023
Aussie Skate Core – $25 per class x number of weeks in term
Supplementary – $12.50 per class x weeks in term
Rising Stars – $65 per class x number of weeks in term
Places in these classes are always in high demand. Please enrol early to avoid the possibility of your preferred class being booked out.
Each class is 30 minutes long.
Rising Stars class is 2 hours.
AUSSIE SKATE REGISTRATION – Required
All Aussie Skate students must register with Aussie Skate™ through Ice Skating Australia. Membership provides: Personal accident/injury insurance when undertaking an Aussie Skate lesson and when competing in (or training for) a sanctioned Aussie Skate event. Register at the link, below, under QUICK LINKS. Or visit: https://www.isa.org.au/aussie-skate-tm
Skates, helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards are available and included.
Helmets are compulsory for all Tots 1, Tots 2, Tots 3, and Youth & Adult Level 1/2.
Before committing to a whole term of classes, we strongly recommend that you try ice skating. Click here for all our skating options. There are two requirements to join Skate School:
- You have been skating before
- You can hold your own balance on the ice without holding on to anything or anyone
There are no refunds for a change of heart.
We are happy to accommodate anyone with special needs. To discuss accommodations for you or your child, please contact us!
Not a beginner and have had professional lessons before?
If you have completed Freeskate 1 in skate school and are looking for a private coach, please complete this form and one of our coaches will contact you when a vacancy becomes available.
If you are looking for a private coach please complete this form and one of our coaches will contact you.
CAMPS AND CLINICS
Icehouse Skate School run development camps in April, September, and some January school holiday periods.
School Holiday Camps – 2024:
No Skate School Holiday Camp in January 2024.
Enrolments for CAMPS are not OPEN at this time.
SKATE SCHOOL FAQs
Due to the high demand for our classes, we require full upfront payment before the start of each term
Yes, we supply you with skates if you do not have your own. We also have helmets, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards if you wish to wear them. They are not mandatory.
Helmets are compulsory for Tots 1, Tots 2, Tots 3, Youth Aussie Skate 1/2, and Adult Aussie Skate 1/2 classes.
Unfortunately, we do not do make up classes.
However, each enrolment includes two additional Public Session passes. You are welcome to use these passes in lieu of the class you have missed to come and practice. Passes expire at the end of each term.
Wednesday students receive 1 Public Session pass for each week of the term. (9-week term will have 9 passes loaded onto the skater’s access card.) Sunday students receive 2 Public Session passes per term. These passes can be used for any Public Session during the term. Please see the front desk team to redeem these passes. Passes expire at the end of each term.
The ONLY reasons we refund are for medical reasons. The presentation of a doctor’s certificate is required.
Yes, you are more than welcome to go for a skate before and/or after your Skate School lesson if there is a session available.
Wednesdays, the public skating session ends at 3:45pm. From 4:00pm-6:00pm, we allocate a practice area and students are welcome to practice is the designated area.
Sundays, the Public Session starts at 9am on Bradbury Rink. Since Skate School is on Henke Rink, students are welcome to practice on Bradbury Rink from 9am.
If there are 3 or more in a family enrolling for Skate School, a 10% discount will be applied from the 3rd student onwards.
Active members enrolling themselves into Skate School recieve a discount: Silver 10%, Gold 15%, Gold Freestyle 15% off their term enrollment.
Only one discount can be redeemed. These discounts are only available for redemption in venue.
You will need to go to Ticketing for them to issue you a replacement card at a fee of $3.
You enrolment is non-transferable and is only valid for the access card holder.